Neami is very pleased to announce the launch of our first Diversity & Inclusion Framework.
Neami and our fully owned subsidiary Me Well are committed to cultivating inclusive environments for staff, consumers and carers - that recognise, respond to and celebrate diversity.
As a specialist mental health service provider, we know that in order to welcome people of all backgrounds, genders, sexualities, cultures, bodies and abilities, we must demonstrate an understanding of the unique experiences of difference and/or discrimination that can impact the access of some people and communities to services.
Our recently launched Diversity & Inclusion Framework lists four priority populations. These are: Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, LGBTIQ people, those who are culturally and linguistically diverse and people living with disability.
The framework will guide our work on inclusive practice over the next three years. This will include work focused on the four priority populations (and across intersections of these experiences) in areas including:
- evaluating consumer/carer experiences of first point of contact with our services
- workforce development projects such as:
- leadership opportunities for staff from diverse backgrounds, identities and/or experiences
- improving cultural safety for marginalised groups through visibility, language and processes
- consumer/carer leadership opportunities in the development of diversity and inclusion initiatives.
Locally, sites and regions undertake their own activities and programs to support our commitments to diversity and inclusion. These can include things like: consumer focus groups, social groups and activities, development of practice improvements to support access for the community and involvement in community events.
You can read the Framework below.